Not the typical origin story, Apiary began with the Founder leaving her San Francisco ad agency & B2B tech startup life to travel the world, with the grand plan to “Figure it out later.” Between milking cows in New Zealand and exploring rice fields in Bangladesh, she began independent consulting. Via the generous referrals of friends and colleagues, things quickly grew into too much work for one person. Moreover, clients were requesting flexible access to deep expertise across a variety of skill sets. Talented digital marketers started coming out of the woodwork asking how they too could contribute to big client projects while working remotely and with the flexibility to do important things outside of work. The demand for curating structurally flexible teams of independent performance digital marketing consultants (“The Collective”) became clear, and in 2015 Apiary Digital was born—a passionate community of on-demand marketers ready to drive results for clients.
We are on a mission to take Apiary Digital to the next level, seeking a Director of Operations for this thriving, unique, small agency business. This is an exciting opportunity to build on a business that has both a strong foundation and room to partner in creating the future of the organization.
Director of Operations, Marketing
- Full time
- Set your own flexible schedule, prioritizing client and business needs
- Reports to the CEO
The Director of Hive Operations works in concert with the CEO and Leadership team, stewarding Apiary consultants, clients, and partners through the Apiary experience. The Director of Hive Operations will orchestrate the day-to-day activities of Apiary, ensuring the organization is performing efficiently and effectively, with the tools and information necessary to succeed.
The Director of Hive Operations will be responsible for supporting the growth of Apiary client offerings. A successful candidate will have proven experience in organizational development, communication management, and leadership.
- Establishes quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines, and standards by which efficiency and effectiveness can be evaluated; identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Reviews, analyzes, and evaluates business procedures.
- Implements policies and procedures that will improve day-to-day operations.
- Ensures virtual working environments are as optimal as possible, safe, and secure.
- Oversee sales, onboarding, and client operations, ensuring each is reaching goals set by Apiary leadership.
- Plans, directs, controls, implements, evaluates, monitors, and forecasts expenditures to support successful Hive operations and project ratios.
- Communicates and explains new directives, policies, or procedures to the Hive; For major changes, meets with entire Operations staff to explain changes, answer questions, and maintain morale.
- Improves consultant and client service + satisfaction through policy and procedural changes and effective communications, as/where needed.
- Leads coordination and integration of efforts among operations, sales, clients, technology, and customer and consultant service divisions (in the form of clear documentation, established procedures, updated templates) to further-streamline workflow and establish more cost-effective business processes with happier humans.
- Projects a positive image of the organization to consultants, customers, industry, and community.
What success looks like
- Smoothly orchestrating Hive operations, including onboarding of new client projects, facilitating sales operations, and aligning with leadership projects
- Continually auditing operations-related assets (e.g., accounts, check-ins, tools, templates) to identify ways to further-improve and streamline day-to-day operations
- Coordinating with cross-discipline team members to make sure that all parties are on track with project requirements, deadlines, and schedules.
- Meeting with project team members to identify and resolve issues.
- Submitting project deliverables and ensuring that they adhere to quality standards.
- Establishing effective project communication plans and ensuring their execution.
- Facilitating change requests to ensure that all parties are informed of the impacts on schedule and budget.
- Obtaining alignment or movement of project deliverables.
- Managing satisfaction within the project transition period.
- Conducting post-project evaluation and identifying successful and unsuccessful project elements.
At Apiary, being able to unplug is important to us. We expect to cover for each other. The Director of Operations will from time to time be asked to provide coverage for other Hive members, or the Leadership team members, and can obtain coverage from other OpsTeam members.
You’re highly driven and passionate about co-creating and maintaining a framework for high-performing professionals to have impactful careers while still pursuing what’s important outside of work. You lead by example, living your own story while growing your career with the Apiary Collective.
- Subject matter expertise within any of the following: SEM, SEO, Paid Social, Programmatic, Analytics, Marketing content for digital
- Client-facing experience
- Team management experience
- Prior exposure to working within a startup or small business
- Passionate about working with people
- Experience working with freelancers and contractors
- Quantitatively savvy
- Salesforce experience
- Bonus points for experience using Teamwork!
Apiary Digital is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Program and employment policies of Apiary Digital are nondiscriminatory in regard to race, color, gender, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation.
To apply for this position, complete this form to Tell Us About You.